Okay, here a quick run down of some of the foods you should try to eat regularly to boost your omega-3 intake:
- Fish such as albacore tuna, salmon, sardines, mackerel, lake trout
- Oils such as flaxseed oil, soybean oil and walnut oil
- Nuts such as walnuts
- Soy nuts
- Seeds such as flaxseeds and pumpkin seeds
- Beans such as kidney beans, soybeans and navy beans
- Eggs from chickens fed flax and greens
- Summer and winter squash
- Leafy greens and coniferous vegetables
I find it difficult to get the needed Omega allowance so I take straight Omega 3 fish oil. I am going to disclose to you what I take.... I don't recommend this to anyone without consulting your doctor! But I take a teaspoon of fish oil with a small glass of orange juice - the size of a shot glass. Not something that you want to enjoy, you just want to get it down. I also put it in my smoothie!
The fish oil that I take is marketed for horses. Yes, I wrote HORSES. They make a human form but it's more expensive than the one they have packaged for horses. A friend of mine turned me on to this - she raises horses and has been taking her Omega 3 oil like this for years! The company is called Wellpride and you can check them out here. One of the reasons I take the actual oil is because the pill form made my stomach really upset, I am not sure why but with the oil I am fine.