12 - Party with a Purpose
- every week there are...5,812,037 birthdays
- 42,884 weddings
- 79,623 births
- Birthdays are the #1 reason people celebrate
- There are millions of other gift-giving/receiving occasions every year, such as bat and bar mitzvahs, graduations, funerals, retirements, and debutante balls.
- Every year, nearly 140 million people purchase and/or receive a gift card with an average value of $59.
- $747 is the average amount spent annually on holiday gifts.
Take ACTION today:
- Select a charity, cause, or purpose you wish to support
- Decide which holiday or occasion for which you would like your friends and family to make a donation instead of giving you a gift.
- Provide your friends and family with the proper information to make their giving easier - web site, phone number or address. I am seeing more and more wedding invites this year with this request in lieu of traditional gifts.
- If there is not a specific reason for having a party, make one up. Simply have guests bring a food dish or beverage along with money for your charity of choice or for someone in need.
If everyone gives up their birthday gifts this year, $3 billion dollars or more can be donated to worthy causes or needy people. Friends and family donating money in your name can be much more rewarding than getting material gifts. Giving is a lot more gratifying than receiving, no matter the occasion.