08 Make today matter: Help the Hungry
Here are some facts that blow my mind:
- 96 billion pounds of food are wasted each year
- 1 in 4 people in a soup kitchen line is a child
- The 2nd largest expense for families is food
- Find a food donation center to volunteer at
- Locate organizations near you that support the hungry. Find out what those organizations need and help provide it.
- Go through your pantry and gather up canned and dried foods to donate
- CREATE or support a local canned food drive
- Purchase and hand out fast food gift cards to homeless people.
- One thing that I do is I keep large ziploc bags full of dog food in my car - so when I see a homeless person with a dog I give them some dog food.
Most people don't have to decide between buying food, paying rent, and purchasing medicine or medical care. But, the sad truth is, millions do. Whether you personally donate time, money, canned foods, or restaurant gift cards, you can be part of the solution. And, as you strive to end hunger, you will gain a new appreciation for the food you have on your table at home... it truly is a blessing.
I thought Michelle made a good comment awhile back in regards to controlling our cravings for food:
.. I am so lucky to live where food is in great abundance. I know I won't starve before my next meal and therefore I don't need to eat that item which is not in my plan for today...